Mold growth is already troublesome for homeowners, but this common house problem can be aggravated by an infestation of mold-eating bugs known as mold mites.
When you attempt to clean a mold patch in your home, you may not always give a second thought after wiping it out. But, even a tiny patch of mold left can lure in a colony of microscopic pests that take it in as a food source. Although they don’t usually bite like the bed bugs in your bedroom, mold mites have long hairs that may cause sneezing, coughing, and irritation.
What Are Mold Mites?
Mold mites are tiny arthropods that feed on mold. With an average size of 0.03 millimeters, these near-microscopic pests are almost invisible to the naked eye. However, by taking a zoomed-in picture with a high-definition camera, you can easily spot them. Mold mites are hairy, wingless, oval, and can range in color from white to tan.
Mold grows in warm and humid climates, and under the same conditions, mold mites grow in abundance. Although they can often be mistaken for other types of mites (e.g., dust mites and flour mites), the main difference is that mold mites enjoy eating mold and human foods that are high in protein and fat.
They can even be mistaken as mold itself, which explains why people think that mold spores cause small bite-like marks on their bodies. However, these marks are caused by the sensory hairs that detach from a mold mites’ body. These hairs also become airborne, which can worsen respiratory problems and allergies.
Mold mites easily migrate from one damp area to another. The lifespan of a mold mite is between 9 to 30 days. Within that period, every female mold mite can have as many as 800 eggs.
Can Mold Mites Get In Your Hair?
Although it’s unlikely, mold mites can get in your hair. If they do so, they will not stay and live in your hair as lice do. They stay around areas where mold – their food source – is present.
Mold mites generally do not pose serious or long-term health risks, but they can bear some risk to people with asthma or allergies. They are not attracted to humans the way other parasites or mosquitoes are. They do not live off dead skin cells or blood, so you won’t need to worry about them sticking around your scalp.
How to Get Rid of Mold Mites?
If you want to get rid of mold mites the right way, you need to get rid of their food source – mold. The idea behind this is that mold mites won’t survive without anything to feed on.
The first thing you have to do is to locate and repair the source of moisture that causes the mold. If it only involves a small patch of mold, you can use a mixture of one gallon of water and 4 cups of vinegar. Scrub the area affected to remove mold and kill mold mites. After scrubbing, the remaining mold will quickly die off.
You can also try a homemade mixture of 2 cups of bleach and 1 gallon of water placed in a spray bottle or pressurized sprayer. Spray the affected surface and let the solution sit for around 15 to 20 minutes. Afterward, wipe the surface with a cloth or a sponge to remove the mold. Repeat the same procedure two to three times.
You can handle the mold problem with these DIY techniques, but you should not try to do so on areas that are wider than 3 square feet. If you have allergies or respiratory issues, don’t risk your health and safety. Reach out to certified mold mitigation experts to handle the task.
Contact a Professional to Remediate the Situation
Part of mold remediation includes mold mite removal. If you suspect that your home has mold and mold mites, hire a professional to eliminate these mold problems. Don’t take any chances with DIY mold cleanup, and let our certified professionals for water damage restoration in Omaha, NE, do the work.
At Deep Water Damage and Restoration Services, we provide mold mitigation solutions that effectively keep your home mold-free and safe from mold mite infestation. With our help, you can save yourself from being exposed to toxins that can harm your health. For more information, give us a call at (719) 571-9845 today!